July 28, 2004

Music, Maestro, Please!

Back into the studio tomorrow to record more of my music.  I will be working on three songs and, hopefully, will be one tune away from completing this phase of the project. Those of you that have been following my 'blog - the faithful three of you - will notice that I've changed the musical selection on the 'blog.  I put Précis on in place of the older draft copy of Fade Away.  The new copy of Fade Away is so much better than the older one it was a shame to have the old one posted. 



Y-Quyen in the studio, just having recorded her vocals to Précis and Fade Away.

The order of songs on the album is tentatively set as follows:


    1. Précis
    2. Fade Away
    3. Don't Look Down
    4. Spots' Enigma (which may become simply "Enigma" on the album... I like the name Spots' Enigma, but it does not fit the flow of the thing.)
    5. Worn Out Shoe
    6. Woke Up Alone
    7. Fire and Ash
    8. But Not For Me
    9. Severe Mercy
    10. The Stream

There was another song, but it is not ready for recording.  I am not certain what I want to do with it.  I'd like to have another blues song that rocks a bit harder on the album, but not if it is not ready for distribution. 

I have begun the next phase of the work on my music project: chatting with the studio cats and getting them on-line to do some music.  I have also put together a webpage (see the link on the title) as part of the effort to locate musicians for a live band.  I know that MAS will not be up for that, as he has his own musical aspiriations to pursue.  Billy is not interested in touring, though I will have a conversation with him about this.  YQL, who does the vocals on Précis would be my first choice to front the band, but she also has other commitments. 

Busy, busy, busy...



I've just gotten back from recording. My wrist is throbbing. We got Don't Look Down finished, ready for the other cats to come in, and the guitar track for But Not for Me completed.  Woke Up Alone was the problem child. It sounded OK, but not good enough.

Next Wednesday I will be doing all of Woke Up Alone, the second guitar on Worn Out Shoe, the bass on But Not for Me and all of Severe Mercy.  That will be something of a marathon session.  There is a good sense of variety in musical forms on this record.  It is not a lack of focus, but a dedication toward embracing a diversity in music. 

Damn, my wrist hurts... I need to ice it and to take a shower.  It amazes me how much I sweat when I record.  I play live and I am more relaxed than I am when I sit down to put it down.  

On to dinner with MM...



I fell asleep. I was up late last night and up early - the carpet guy came to do the steam cleaning and I had to get ready for that - this morning. I am still tired. Just called MM, she is eating. I think that I will just open a can of soup or something easy and have a bite for dinner. I have to clean up and then it may be to bed early tonight.   I really stress when recording.  I can understand why some folk use chemicals to maintain their sanity in the process.  My wrist still hurts.  I will be happy to have this project wrapped.  But not really.  Damn, I am so sleepy.  I need to get to bed at a reasonable hour tonight.
 
That's all for now.  Shall continue later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Y-QUYEN! JUST STUNNING! USE HER ON EVERY ALBUM FROM NOW ON OKAY?!

The Dancing Fool said...

Thanks for your comment. Y-Quyen is a wonderful singer with a beautiful voice! As the project progresses I will be in touch with her. Stay in touch... shall have to make a CD available for you when it is released!
- Pablo