July 06, 2004

Live, laugh and love…

I have to say that I am doing all of these things these days. I had a great Fourth of July with MM. We went to the Ventura Street Faire and had fun there. I heard a kick-ass band, MacLean, that was made up of session cats. They rocked. Damn, they were good. Another band, Benise, played. Also very cool.

I’ve been working on my music for the past couple of days. I feel pretty good about the stuff that I am taking into the studio this week. I want to lay down a couple of bass lines, record two new songs and re-do one. This will put me within striking distance of completing my tracks. I need to begin to pull a performing band together as well as contacting BH and MAS to do tracks, not to mention YQ to sing (assuming her Bells Palsy clears up). The missing piece is the drummer. I am tempted to contact DR, the drummer in the band that BH and I played in.

I want a kick-ass stage show. I am thinking of a quintet (Bass, Drums, Keys/Acoustic Guitar, Guitar and Vocals). I don’t know that YQ would want to front this band… I would hope so. She has a great voice and with some coaching could do the show. I want a really tailored look to the players. I want basic choreography – we all know when to move and where – as well as a tight set. I hate it when bands stop and there is so much unnecessary static on the stage from being disorganized. I need to go to SB this week. Maybe I can do coffee with YQ and give her CDs as well as seeing how she is doing.

I’ve been doing some arithmetic. I can do well, but would have to sell over 5000 copies of the CD to do so. That would provide me with a living wage for a year. I am not really certain how to move that many units. I do know that the more folks that I get involved the lower my profit margin. That number creeps up by a certain quantity. It may be a pipedream to think that I can support myself with my music. It would be a nice thing, though.

Ah well… It is late. I am writing lyrics tonight to a couple of songs. The one that I recorded the rough cut on has the potential to be my favorite on the album. I was thinking about making love with MM when I did the chords and the rest just fell into place. If only it had words. I need to do that.

It is late, at I said. More later. It has been a good couple of days.

No comments: