July 04, 2004

A bit of everything...

I am back to recording this week. It is scary after such a long hiatus. My singer has developed Bell’s Palsy; it is a temporary condition that results in facial paralysis, a real bummer for a vocalist. I have been rehearsing a blues number. I envisioned it as a simple shuffle with a short guitar solo and a bass solo. I still have to write words. It sounds good, so far. Really, the thing is so simple that it almost does not belong on my album. Maybe this is the proof that I can do music that has no more than three chords! If I can play the guitar solo it must be simple!!!

MM and I hit a short-lived but intense bump (as evidenced by my last posting). We worked it out and are, I believe, on better ground because of it. We are spending more time here and I am doing things that I find valuable and important. We came to the conclusion that spending all of our time together is probably not the best choice. We are both fiercely independent, even though we spend more time together than most couples, married or otherwise. Neither of us was looking for a partner when we met. We met and became each other’s partner very quickly. It is so intense that without some management it could be difficult. For the record I do love her St. Bernards. I can see us together in the years to come and hope that we will be life-partners. Yes, I do love her and want to be her partner and best friend that stands beside her in the years to come.

I am becoming worried about finances in the next several months. I am certain that I can work it out, it is just becoming tight again. MM is such a capable financial manager. I wish that I were better at this.

I need to begin soliciting employment for the upcoming year. I also have to take RICA and CSET. Both are intense and expensive. I have time to study and will do well, I’m certain. They are just a pain in the royal ass.

Today is the fourth of July. I really have no desire to do anything special because of the day. Ventura has a neat street fair which I enjoy. MM and I will go together and I will just enjoy the party for its own sake. Given the political reality it is hard for me to be excited about America when I feel that our country is being held hostage by the oligarchic nabobs of despair and corporate greed. All of the talk about defense of freedom is a canard to this administration: a cynical irony that robs us of our most American of all freedoms: the right to dissent. I fear that all of the talk about freedom is nothing more than a rouse that conceals the theft of the freedoms that we hold most dear: the rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

I know of no other county that enshrines the pursuit of happiness in its formative letters.

Australia’s national anthem is about an outlaw outrunning a policeman. But that is what is expected of a country that was founded as a penal colony. But I digress…

R is in Philadelphia visiting GH, her boyfriend. She is showing all of the symptoms of a young woman in love. I think that she may have been a bit high when I called her. Her voice sounded like she was enjoying some of her favorite herbal recreation. As her father I can be worried, but truly she is the only one that can make the decisions regarding her life. It is hard for me to be the elder friend and mentor when I want to tell her what to do. It is harder when she asks me to tell her what to do. All I can say is follow your heart…

A’s snake, Cuddles, at a mouse today. I noticed that Cuddles’ eyes were glazed over. She struck at the mouse with her usual enthusiasm, but stuck at its hind-legs. It was harder for the snake to suffocate and consume this mousie. I think that she will be shedding her skin soon. A is taking guitar lessons and is showing all the signs of being a rock chick. Like father, like daughter? I gave her my beat up Telecaster. She likes it. She likes the Tele-twang…

No comments: