May 08, 2004

Saturday, cleaning house, missing my friend...



It is a warm day here in Ventura. I am sitting at my new computer desk, the savior that will redeem me from a cluttered desk. Is it true that stuff just expands to fit the space available? We shall see...

My friend dropped by into the torrent of dirty clothes, trash, and other assorted junk this morning on her way back from dropping her son off to see his father. She stayed a bit and was off on her routine. I spoke to her at lunch, dropped by and had lunch with her. On my way back my friend MAS called me. He has a rough cut of his new CD project and wanted me to hear and critique it. I listened and offered an opinion. It is so hard to be critical of music when music is the stuff of life for this guy. He is a good musician; I thought that the work was less than he is capable of. With my own stuff I am brutal. With others I am gentle, almost to the point of being innocuous.

I listened to A Love Supreme today. John Coltrane was a genius. The music, however often I listen, demands my attention and makes me face the reality of chaos and redemption. His spiritual epiphany occurred the same year that I was born, 1957. The man died, sadly, in 1967 of liver cancer. He was too damn young.

When I listen to 'Trane I know that I'll never produce an opus that moves the spirit in the same way. I don't try to, I suppose, because my life experience and spiritual development is quite different than Coltrane's. I'll tell my stories and hope that the Trane had it right when he said that "all vibrations find their way to God."

My computer desk is clean. My home is a mess... best get back to the mundane tasks of living.

Ah, what a lovesick fool I am... I miss her even now, knowing that I will see her soon.






No comments: